Do you believe it was only a little more than a year ago that I tasted my first avocado?
Seriously, I must have lived a a deprived world since my mother never cared for the fruit. She claims it is tasteless so she never Incorporated it into our meals. As a a young adult, I never even had the urge to try it, and it was never on my radar. Now that I have kids, one day I decided to try the unique fruit and was in love at first bite.
Now, I typically enjoy my avocado as the star of guacamole, or sliced in salads, or sandwiches. I have never once tried baking with it until today. Since I am looking to have a healthier New Year, I wanted to try a batch of muffins that incorporated avocado as an oil and butter substitute. I love banana muffins and have several recipes that have been in my family for a while. I decided today to experiment and was super happy with the results, and taste of my avocado banana muffins.
AVOCADO BANANA MUFFINS RECIPE
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ripe banana *this will provide the sweetness so ripe is important
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl mash the banana, egg, milk, and avocado until pureed.
- In another bowl whisk the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Muffins will be springy when done. You can use a toothpick to test them out.
Find complete recipe here