Avocado, Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Salad Recipe. If you like traditional Italian insalata caprese, try this similar avocado caprese salad with fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and ripe red tomatoes, and the addition of avocados for extra flavor. I’ve seen a variety of this avocado caprese salad referred to as an Italian “tricolore” salad, since it has the three colors of the Italian flag: red tomatoes, white mozzarella and green avocados and basil.
I love the flavors of avocado with just a bit of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, but I’ve also seen this salad drizzled with a bit of honey as a variation. Try it both ways and see which you prefer. At any rate, the ingredients themselves are always delicious when combined together. Who doesn’t love fresh avocado, mozzarella and fresh basil? Yum.
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 ounce bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (or use a balsamic reduction if you prefer)
- salt and pepper to taste (sea salt or kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper will be best)
- With a small knife, cut the little stem end out of the tomato, and then, using a serrated knife, cut the tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices.
- Slice the mozzarella about 1/4 inch thick.
- Alternate slices of the avocado, the sliced tomato, the fresh mozzarella and the fresh basil leaves, arranging them like playing cards on individual serving plates.
- Drizzle the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar or the balsamic reduction on top of the avocado, tomato and mozzarella slices.
- Season with lightly with sea salt or kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Serve your Italian mozzarella, tomato, basil and avocado salad with Italian bread or a fresh baguette (French bread), or perhaps over a bed of romaine lettuce or Boston lettuce leaves if you want something more of a salad and less of an appetizer.
- Makes about 4 servings.
Recipe tip: Instead of olive oil and vinegar, use a balsamic reduction to drizzle over your avocado salad. For another variation, serve this salad over cooked pasta to turn it into a light and summery vegetarian pasta salad.
Find complete recipe here