I wish I had tried this creamy avocado pasta sooner! Creamy delicious goodness without the calories of any actual cream! Well, I guess avocados aren’t really low in fat, but they’re a super food loaded with nutrients and other health benefits. You’ve gotta love avocados! This pasta sauce is rich and creamy and the ingredients are super healthy. There’s even a little bit of spinach thrown in for good measure!
Today is Green Day to celebrate St. Patrick’s day at my girls’ school and the kids had to dress in all shades of green. Which is easier said than done for girls, you know!? The only green clothes that I could find at the store were a couple of bright forest green skirts. Or at least, they were the only things I could find that were ridiculously on sale… because let’s face it – the kids are going to wear these skirts once a year for St. Patrick’s Day and that’s pretty much it.
So… what on earth do you wear with a green skirt!? My girls wanted to picked the rest of their outfits (and that’s always a gamble…). I’m not going to lie, they looked a little ridiculous walking off to school in their mismatched outfits (but super adorable with their pig tails…). But they were so proud of all their green! And I’m impressed that they actually managed to find enough shades of green in their drawers to be almost entirely green. Or turquoise at least… that’s a shade of green, isn’t it???
Creamy Avocado Pasta
- 8 to 10 oz fettuccine
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pasta water
- (If you use parmigiano reggiano, I recommend adding about ½ teaspoon of salt)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the avocado, spinach, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a small food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Keep ½ cup of pasta water then drain the pasta.
- Add the avocado sauce to the fettuccine noodles and stir well. Let it sit, covered for 5 minutes before serving.
Find complete recipe here