Before that happens though, we really need to discuss my new and improved dairy free and gluten free black bean brownies made with AVOCADO instead of butter, coconut sugar and a tiny bit of coconut oil.
Do any of you remember these bad boys? They are originally from the 2012 days of blogging when I told you I got “chocolate wasted” on them. Literally almost ate the entire pan in one night with my two Godkids. They were good then and they’re damn good now.
I wanted to bring you an updated version with a few simple small changes that take the brownies to the next level wholesome chocolate goodness. I used eggs with the yolk, a little extra coconut oil, less sugar and just a tiny bit less cocoa powder. The brownies are FREAKING FABULOUS.
There’s also an option to make these more cakey by adding an additional egg!
Healthy Avocado Black Bean Brownies
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs or flax eggs (add an additional egg if you like cakier brownies!)
- 1/2 of a large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or sub brown sugar (or sub 1/2 cup pure maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Place all ingredients besides chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. If the batter is WAY too thick and won’t process then add in a teaspoon or two of water. This batter needs to be very thick in order to produce fudgy brownies. Add in 1/3 cup chocolate chips and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of remaining chocolate chips. You can also fold in nuts or swirl in peanut butter. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack. Cool pan completely on wire rack then cut into 12 delicious large brownies!
To make vegan: Sub 2 flax eggs for the regular eggs.
To make brownies more cake-like: Use 3 eggs instead of 2.
Find complete recipe here